What do professional athletes do when they are done playing? Some become entrepreneurs, write books, or start a nonprofit organization or a training camp or clinic for youth or others. Some have the fame and fortune to do anything they want, but not all pro athletes leave their sport wealthy. Kandi Conda worked in PR, marketing, branding, and entrepreneurship when she noticed that many athletes had a gap when it came to playing pro sports and working afterwards. After owning a professional women’s basketball team and seeing the struggles some of the players had after they stopped playing, she knew she could help.
Kandi started Life After Sports where she helps athletes with branding, PR, getting that book written, or with whatever she can help them with as a consultant. She is particularly proud of the Life After Sports app which features game schedules, snippets from pro athletes called Behind the Ball, and connects former athletes and businesses. We talk about sports, business, helping athletes, making money, and her upcoming Workshop Series.
You can find Kandi here:“The app has all of the sports league schedules. It also has the Behind the Ball series which are snippets from pro athletes for student-athletes. It also connects athletes and businesses.” -Kandi Conda Click To Tweet
- [02:14] In the 90s, Kandi did PR for a sports team. She has also written or ghostwritten 15 books. She also had a sports magazine called Super Fans. She was doing branding and PR for a women’s basketball team.
- [03:02] She helped them with an opportunity to become Chicago’s first pro women’s basketball team. Kandi ended up purchasing the team.
- [03:44] Kandi played soccer in the Air Force.
- [03:51] After purchasing the team, they did their first press conference at Michael Jordan’s Restaurant.
- [04:06] She owned the women’s basketball team for about two-and-a-half years.
- [04:31] Later on she reached out to the players and discovered that they needed help with financial PR and branding.
- [05:01] She turned this into a business and helps former pro athletes and their relatives with writing books and branding.
- [05:31] They even had an NBA Mom’s Panel.
- [05:52] They have an educational forum that features players and families. They help with camps and sell sponsorship. They have a unique business model.
- [07:15] Kandi’s ideal client is someone who has finished their sports career and knows what they want to do, but needs help getting there.
- [07:57] So many athletes have untapped talents and gifts. They don’t all have to be financial planners or run a nonprofit camp or clinic.
- [10:18] Kandi makes money depending on what she does. It can range to writing, full on marketing, or consulting.
- [12:29] Kandi also has an app.
- [14:07] The app has all of the sports League schedules. It also has the Behind the Ball series which are snippets from pro athletes for student-athletes. There is also an area for athletes and businesses.
- [15:08] In 45 days, they are rolling out a Workshop Series. It will have workshops for athletes at all levels of all sports. Featuring everything from financial planning, legal, health, and more.
- [15:28] They’ve been networking with NBA and NFL parent associations to find out what the athletes need.
- [16:16] Kandi can do everything in her business. The business won’t close down if someone is replaced.
- [19:08] The Raiders are moving to Las Vegas.
- [20:05] It’s a great thing that they are coming to Vegas. Sports are the next viable evolution for the city.
Links and Resources: