I have an old friend on the show today. Joel Comm has been a staple in the digital space for a long time. He is the author of 15 books and the co-host of the mega successful Bad Crypto podcast. He is here today to talk about the future of crypto and more.
We discuss how things have evolved in the digital marketing space and Joel’s own evolution including the creation of his crypto podcast. We talk about the benefits of blockchain as a technology that will revolutionize the future. We talk about the importance of getting in on the ground floor of new markets and the importance of always having fun.
You can find Joel here:
Bad Crypto Podcast
Fun Formula Book
- [01:49] Joel Comm has been an internet entrepreneur since 1995.
- [02:11] He has since written 15 books. He has worked in the online marketing space and the affiliate marketing space and the social media space. He has also embraced all forms of online media from blogging to podcasting to videos.
- [02:24] In 2017, he started dabbling in crypto currency and was absolutely enthralled.
- [02:39] Joel and his friend Travis Wright would talk about bitcoin and blockchain and everything crypto. They then decided to start a show about it and the Bad Crypto Podcast was created.
- [02:41] The purpose of the show was to make crypto easy-to-understand for regular people.
- [02:59] They started in July of 2017 and have had over 7 million downloads.
- [03:35] You don’t do the books and the speaking tours until you’ve had the success.
- [03:44] Joel began his digital career trading websites that sold things. One he cracked the code on affiliate marketing and advertising, he started teaching others how to do it.
- [04:26] He wrote about and spoke about how he was making money.
- [05:23] We now know that social media companies don’t have our best interest at heart and we are actually the product.
- [05:51] Blockchain is a great solution because it brings transparency back to various activities. It creates a public ledger of activity, but privacy is woven into it.
- [06:23] Blockchain is either going to lead to new solutions and more freedom and opportunity for us or we’re facing a really dystopian Big Brother future.
- [07:38] Blockchain is really just a fancy database. Blockchain is decentralized, because no one power or authority has power over it.
- [08:44] Solutions built on blockchain give people the power to invest in projects in a way that they would like.
- [09:44] In March 2017, Joel started learning about crypto. He and Travis were talking about crypto a lot. 3 months later they started their show.
- [11:00] Part of it was timing and two regular guys talking about crypto.
- [12:13] Bitcoin is merely a better form of digital payment. There are many different types of coins and tokens. With ethereum we have the ability to go beyond just payments. We can write smart contracts.
- [13:06] There are even tokens that empower musicians to be paid more fairly for online downloads.
- [14:42] Crypto is kind of circa 1997 where the internet was.
- [16:11] They do four shows a week and two or three are usually interviews. They never make recommendations.
- [19:44] Joel’s fifteenth book is the The Fun Formula: How Curiosity, Risk-Taking, and Serendipity Can Revolutionize How You Work.
- [20:47] The fun formula helps liberate people from the hustle and grind.