The Secrets of Selling with Ross Jeffries
‘You are never selling your product or service. You are selling decisions and good feelings about those decisions.’ -Ross Jeffries Click To Tweet
Selling is one of those skills that can benefit your finances and your personal life. I have a special guest today, Ross Jeffries is a sales expert and the author of Subtle Words That Sell: How To Get Your Prospects To Convince Themselves To Buy Without Pushing, Pressuring Or Pitching. On today’s show, Ross shares the importance of mindset, how to be a service decision technician, and implied relationship words.
Ross learned the power of selling early on when he was dating and started learning about NLP to help persuade women to go out with him. Soon he realized that these same selling and persuasion principles could be used in the sales arena. This episode will change the way you look at sales and how to speak with prospects.
You can find Ross here:‘Don’t think of yourself as a salesperson. Think of yourself as a service decision technician.’ -Ross Jeffries Click To Tweet
- [01:59] 20 years ago Ross became involved with NLP. This is neuro linguistic programming which is the study of how language structures consciousness, shapes decisions, and drives behavior.
- [02:20] He learned how to communicate in a way that was charming and help them get past his peers.
- [02:30] Ross realized if he could sell himself to get a date, he could sell other things to make money.
- [02:37] He also learn to develop a mindset that was able to handle the word no.
- [03:10] He has been training sales teams to do what he calls subtle selling.
- [03:15] The art of getting your prospect to convince themselves to buy without having a pressure driven pitch.
- [03:26] Ross’s book is called Subtle Words That Sell: How To Get Your Prospects To Convince Themselves To Buy Without Pushing, Pressuring Or Pitching.
- [04:05] Myths about selling. You are selling your product or service. You are never selling your product, you are selling decisions and good feelings about decisions.
- [04:56] Thinking of yourself as a service decision technician relieves the pressure.
- [05:35] The second method is that it’s crucial to get rapport. Rapport is important, but you want people to be responsive to you.
- [06:59] Capture the imagination and the emotions of your prospect and lead them to make the decision.
- [08:45] It’s not just a matter of getting people to trust you, it’s getting people to trust that they can do it and make it in life.
- [09:03] Getting people to trust themselves is much more difficult. A real coach and salesperson gets people to trust that they can do it.
- [10:17] The difference between influence and manipulation. Influence is about expanding the minds of your prospects to encompass ideas.
- [12:34] Mindset is at least half the game.
- [13:28] The system to selling. Structure of your language in communication.
- [15:09] A tool to increase your sales by 20%. Using implied relationship words. You want to create a relationship with the people you are selling to.
- [15:51] Ask your prospect to promise to share their questions with you. Use words like we and together which imply a relationship. Will you promise me? We don’t make promises to people who we don’t trust. Buying into these words creates the unconscious mind set of already having a relationship.
- [17:55] How to crush objection. First responses are not written in stone. They are usually a reflection of what they are thinking or feeling.
- [18:26] People have buttons around money.
- [19:26] Reframe their objections and clear things up to move forward.
- [22:29] The difference between someone just plodding along and someone who has joy in being a transformational teacher.
- [23:34] In Ross’s book, he lays out all the fundamental principles that make the tools powerful. There are also transcripts of training sessions.
- [24:41] Ross’s book was a labor of love.
- [25:00] The vending machine metaphor for success. You have to accept and embrace chaos. Recognize that every situation is something that you can learn from.
- [27:12] See what you did right and then pick apart what you could do differently.
- [27:48] How important it is to get a coach and mentor.
Links and Resources:
- Loral’s Real Money Talks
- Subtle Words That Sell: How To Get Your Prospects To Convince Themselves To Buy Without Pushing, Pressuring Or Pitching