Winter Weather Tips
Here are a few winter tips to help keep you safe and warm.
What To Do If You Lose Power In The Winter
Losing power in the winter months can be scary, unsafe and uncomfortable. Sometimes, it’s hard to know what to do when trouble of this nature strikes. If you’re looking for tips on how to deal with losing power during a cold snap, there are some clever ways to get your life back on track. Here are our tips on what to do if you lose power in the winter:
Frozen Pipes – The best defense is good prevention – if you know your pipes have a tendency to freeze during the cold-weather months, run a steady and slow trickle of warm water through your pipes to keep them open. If your pipes still freeze, turn off your heating temporarily, and use an auxiliary heating source to warm the pipes until they function properly. Then, turn your central heating back on.
No Electricity – You can’t usually restore power yourself, so you need to think about emergency kits that will allow you to survive in winter without electricity. The first thing you must do is stock up on non-perishable foods, blankets, candles, matches, hand-warmers, clean water, and other essentials. Invest in a generator and run it outside of your home to restore power until the main system is repaired and functional.
Using a Dryer – This tip is great for when you have little kids at home. Right before you put your little ones in the bath take their towels and jammies and throw them in the dryer. Then when they’re all done retrieve their towels and jammies from the dryer so they can be nice and toasty afterwards.
Stay Safe and Warm Bag – No matter where you’re driving in the winter, keep a bag with you that has a warm blanket, water and food. You never know when you might be stranded.
With these tips, you’ll have the skills to make it through some common winter power problems and also keep you and loved ones warm.
How about another problem? What to do with the kids when it’s too cold for them to play outside and you’re all skied out?
During winter, you need entertaining games that you can engage in while you are in the house. Try and look for fun games you can play with your children. In this way, you will find a creative way of tackling the cold winter without having to go outside the house. You do not have to let the cold weather prevent you from having fun with your children.
The following are fun games you can play with your kids and still have a warm winter:
- Interactive online games – Choose healthy interactive games that will also be a good way of exercising such as those with fitness routines in them.
- Quiz – A quiz session or trivia game is good and will help to jog the minds of your children. For a good competitive spirit, you can set a good prize for the winner. Check out Trivial Pursuit editions.
- Miniature theatre – This gives your kids a good opportunity to recreate their favorite fantasies. You only need appropriate materials from around your house such as shoeboxes, cards and crayons, socks for puppets, etc. Invite children to come up with their own ideas!
- Radio – You can light up the fire and listen to the radio. With some dedicated radio channels for children, they will surely use their imaginations as they listen.
- Pizza & cookies party – The cold winter months can be very hard to tackle. You can turn lunch time into a pizza party. Get your kids to take part in the preparation. The children can become the pizza chefs. Have them bake ready-made cookie dough from the local grocery store, and then decorate them for dessert, too!
These are good winter indoor games and activities that will make the winter warmer for your children, guests and you.